Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The Barbarian's Creed

I've been watching the reactions of the talking heads regarding Palin's latest move. It's amusing to me how some get it and some (even friends of Sarah like Dick Morris) are totally baffled.

I can't explain all of it myself, but there are two things I know:

1. Sarah Palin will do what she thinks is right, and for some reason, she thinks this is right. In a recent interview, her close friend Kristan Cole said that Sarah had peace about the decision. That's all I need to know.

2. God works in mysterious ways. I believe that something Providential is happening, and the wisdom of man will never be able to figure that out, so just hold on for the ride. How do I know? I've just got a feeling.

While trying to figure out why some get it and some don't, a couple of phrases keep running through my head. We've all heard of the Apostle's Creed.

Well, I like to call this the Ordinary Barbarian's Creed. It's from I Corinthians 1:

"For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

"Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

"For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:

"But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;


"And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are."

Now I know that the context of those verses has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with salvation, but the point is that God often uses the things that the world would never choose so that He will get the glory, and not the circumstances.

He likes to let us run out of our own strength so that when He steps in, we recognize that it's Him and don't try to chalk it up to our own abilities. There's no other way to get things through our thick skulls sometimes.

No comments: