Friday, May 28, 2010

Shut Up About Sarah Palin Already

Ilana Angel of the Jewish Journal wrote another piece on Palin:
---------------

Yesterday I went shopping at Target. I was preoccupied, and not really paying attention, when I walked into a little boy. He looked to be about 6 years old, and was standing alone in the aisle. I bent down and told him I was sorry, asked if he was okay, and he assured me he was.

I asked the little boy who he was with, and he told me his mommy. I took his hand, and told him I would help him find her. He asked me to pick him up, which I did. I asked what his mom’s name was, and I began to call out for her. We quickly found her, as she was frantically looking for him

She was lovely, and happy to have her boy back in her sight. I passed off the little man, and told her to have a good day. The little boy, who had Down’s Syndrome, asked me what my name was. I told him, and he responded with “Thank you Ilana. I love you.” It was precious.

About 20 minutes later, I was leaving the register, having just paid, when I heard the little boy calling my name. I turned around, and saw he was in line with his mom, in the shopping cart. I waved and said hello. He asked to be let out of the cart. I told the mother it was fine, and I would stay until she paid.

This woman was super cute, whispered thank you, and took her son out of the cart. As he made his way over to where I was, he “pushed” a woman out of his way to get to me. It wasn’t a shove, he’s just a child. He gave her a little push, so he could get by. He passed her, ran over, and said “Hello Ilana”.

I lifted him up, put him on the counter of an unused register, and we talked until his mother finished paying for her shopping. He asked me if I like to chew gum, which I do, and we talked about gum. His mother came over with her bags, thanked me for the help, and we headed out of the store together.

As I walked to my car, the woman the little boy pushed out of his way, was getting into the car next to me. She asked me where my little boy was. I told her it was not my child, just a friend. She told me I should tell my friend that her son was rude, and hurt her foot when he pushed her.

I think I actually started to laugh, and asked if she was serious. I told her he did not push her, but just rushed past her, and he was not intentionally trying to hurt her. I apologized for him, rolled my eyes, and went to get into my car. As I closed my door, she called me a bitch.

Well. I got out and said, “I beg your pardon?” She then told me that I was a “Palin Lover”, and going to hell. Oh. My. God. Who are these people? I about lost my mind, but instead, asked her calmly what she was talking about. She explained it, as if we were talking about the weather.

Apparently, if you have a child with Down’s Syndrome, it means God is punishing you. God was punishing Palin for being a sinner, by giving her a “damaged” child. He was punishing every person, who has a child with Down’s Syndrome, for a countless array of sins.

Seriously. How is it possible that this opinion can even exist? This little boy was an angel, as is Ms. Palin’s son Trig, as are all children. Kids are innocent, and to have hatred directed at a child, is crushing to me. I cried the entire way home, and not a pretty cry, but a heaving, snotty cry.

I don’t care what you think about Ms. Palin. My opinions about her are beyond irrelevant, and should matter to nobody but me. I am not a politician. I am, most importantly, and before all else, a mother, and I have this to say: SHUT UP ABOUT SARAH PALIN’S KID YOU MORON.

Ever since I wrote about my encounter with Sarah Palin, and the fact that I thought, after meeting her, that she was a cool broad, I have been the target of hate. Both from strangers, and people I know. I don’t think about it too much, because at the end of the day, who cares?

I met her, I dug her, I wrote about it, and I moved on. Sarah Palin and I have nothing in common when it comes to our views on politics, abortion, hunting, or FOX News. I did not judge her based on our different views, because that’s not my job.

Regardless of what I may or may not think about this woman, I would never, and I mean NEVER, say anything derogatory about her children. Some things are off limits, and the top of that list, is children. I liked her because she was funny, engaging, and charming. We talked about our kids, my work, and clothes. It was a million years ago, and not that big a deal.

I am sick and tired of people attacking this woman’s child. Think whatever you want about her, I certainly do, but leave her kids alone. To the woman at Target, you are disgusting and pathetic. I could write a million things, and none of them are nice. Instead I will simply pray for you.

Kids are not born knowing hate, they are taught to hate. People need to stop worrying so much about what Sarah Palin is going to do to the country, and start worrying about each other. Hate is not in Alaska, it’s at Target. I’m very sad today. May God bless all our children. Keep the faith.
------------

Ilana did an interview with Team Sarah's Blog Talk Radio about her meeting with Palin:

No comments: