Thursday, July 29, 2010

Mongrel People

Okay, so Obama said this on the View today, via the Hill:

When asked about his background, which includes a black father and white mother, Obama said of African-Americans: "We are sort of a mongrel people."

“I mean we’re all kinds of mixed up,” Obama said. “That’s actually true of white people as well, but we just know more about it.” [...] Obama noted “there’s still a reptilian side of our brain” that leads people to not trust others “if somebody sounds different or looks different.”

Um, okay. Dude, you need a psychiatrist. Seriously. There are issues there. Issues.

He could have gotten his point across in a more connotation-friendly way. I prefer "mutt." It sounds much better "mongrel."

I refer to myself as a mutt, have for years. I'm Norwegian, Irish, and German. I think there's a little Dutch mixed in there somewhere as well. I call myself an All-American Mutt. Most of us are. People from all over the world, a variety of nationalities and backgrounds came here and blended together in this country, united by an ideal and a thirst for liberty rather than by blood. At least, that's the idea.

"Mongrel" makes me think of some feral dog foaming at the mouth or something, though. And then the reptilian thing? Dude. Good grief.

Am I all up in arms about it? No. But, oh, man, just imagine the howling if Sarah Palin had said it:

1 comment:

Bill589 said...

I can’t hear! My son “borrowed” the headphones.

But on Obama’s comments, he might have a reptilian side of his brain, but neither of everybody else’s hemispheres has anything to do with a reptilian brain. (They don't have this part.)
And if Sarah said any of this, she would, of course, be a racist.

It’s hard to believe what arrogant people say when they try to sound smart outside their field of expertise. I’m guessing Obama has expertise in something. Organizing communities? Reading teleprompters? Appropriate regional bowing techniques? Golf courses of the world?