Friday, October 9, 2009

If Obama Can Apologize for America, I Can Apologize for Norway

I woke up this morning to a gem: Obama has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

What do I have to say about that?

What does Hillary Clinton have to say about it? (Jump to 1:23)

(Wiping tear away from eye). Ahem. Okay, moving on....

While some, like Polish President Lech Walesa, say it's far too early in Obama's Presidency to give him such an award (ya think?), others applaud the President's attempts to cooperate with other nations and encourage nuclear disarmament. Others (like me) are saying, "Ummm, maybe we should wait and see if those attempts actually work? Whaddya say?"

The Norwegian Nobel Committee is responsible. If you haven't figured it out by now, I have a Nordic heritage. Half Norwegian, to be exact (and yes, I love Ole and Lena jokes). I'm afraid I simply must apologize for the land of my ancestors. We have many things going for us: hats with horns, lefse, coffee cups that say "Uffda" on them, and a philosophy of life that demands that you "sit long and talk much" while drinking from your "Uffda" cup. Unfortunately, every nation has its quacks, and the Norwegian Nobel Committee appears to be one of ours.

So, for today anyway, I think I'll lean more toward my Irish side.


(Chuckle) Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize...now that's just funny.
A man stumbles up to the only other patron in the bar and asks if he could buy him a drink.

"Why, of course," comes the reply.

The first man asks, "So, where are you from?"

"I'm from Norway," says the second man.

"You don't say! I'm from Norway too. Let's have another round to Norway." Curious, the first man then asks, "Where in Norway are you from?"

"Bergen," says the second man.

"I don't believe it," replies the first man. "I'm from Bergen too. Let's have another drink to Bergen." And they do. Curious again, the first man asks, "Where in Bergen did you live?"

"On a boat, at the fishing docks," says the second man.

"This is unbelievable! I lived in a boat at the fishing docks too!" said the first man.

About that time one of the regulars came in and sat down at the bar. "What's been going on?" he asks the bartender.

"Nothing much," says the bartender. "Ole and his brother Sven are drunk again."

No comments: