Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Family Guy

I've been going back and forth internally over this whole Family Guy thing. First off, I really have no clue what on earth they were trying to say with the reference to Sarah Palin. I assume it was meant to be somewhat offensive, but it came off as just plain dumb.

I never watch the stupid show anyway. They probably just did it for ratings.

Palin herself didn't seem clear on who exactly they were targeting (I said this in my post about Bristol's response.) In the end, for the Palins, it doesn't really matter. If it hits home, it hits home. Period.

I'm sitting this one out. I can see it from both sides. Family Guy is a dumb cartoon that makes fun of everyone and everything. They were just doin' what they do. But I'm not going to sit here and pass judgment on the Palins either. I'm not going to tell them what they should feel.

I don't have anyone close to me with special needs, so in that way I can't relate, but I do have things and people in my life that I dearly love. And I know that when anyone, even offhandedly, says something disparaging about the people that I love, it's a silencer. A "kick in the gut" if you will.

"He is only more precious because he is vulnerable." - Palin at the RNC

I can't imagine the bond that must exist between a mother and a child, but especially, a child with special needs. As I said in the beginning, for Sarah Palin and her family, this is based more in emotion than it is in reason.

Now, some say that Sarah Palin shouldn't respond, etc... Well, it's up to her. Is she "thin-skinned?" This was her responding as a mom, not as a politician. Good gravy, she gets hit with hundreds of attacks on the airwaves and print. I'd say she's got some of the thickest skin in the business politically. As a Mom? Back off. Mama Grizzly ain't playin' games.

You know what I want? I want Rush Limbaugh to quit "helping" Sarah Palin so much and shut his big, fat mouth. I know he didn't mean anything by what he said. Rush was targeting Rahm Emanuel, not Palin's family. I know he was trying to point out how disgusting the language actually was. He does this all the time. Uses the language of the Left to shine light on how horrible it actually sounds, but he should know by now that the media always spins his stuff. If it was just him, fine, whatever. But now's he's got Palin up a tree over this. She can't defend her family without looking like a hypocrite. I can't help it; I'm ticked.

Thanks Rush. With friends like you, who needs enemies?

No comments: